This article was originally published on the Ag Answers website.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - With crop-program decision windows open, now is the time for producers to think strategically about their farm’s cash flow, exposure to risk, and the means available to manage these risks, said Carl Zulauf, an agricultural economics professor in Ohio State University’s College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.
Zulauf, a farm policy expert in the college’s Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics, will speak Dec. 1 during the kickoff of the 2014-15 Agricultural Policy and Outlook series. The event opens a series of local meetings to be held statewide.
The meetings will feature presentations by AEDE experts on key issues in the agricultural community for 2015, including policy changes, key issues, and market behavior with respect to farm, food and energy resources, and the environment.
In addition to Zulauf, speakers for the series include:
- Matt Roberts, a grain economist who will discuss his outlook for the 2015 grain market.
- Brian Roe, an agricultural economist who will give a presentation on the Lake Erie algae problem from the view of farmers and the general public.
- Ian Sheldon, an international trade expert who will discuss agricultural productivity and the impact of genetically modified crops.
- Brent Sohngen, an environmental economist who will review market-based instruments for reducing phosphorus emissions.
- Douglas Southgate, a development economist who will discuss survey population forecasts for the 21st century and the implications of those forecasts on agriculture.
- Cameron Thraen, a dairy expert who will offer a 2015 dairy outlook and a farm bill dairy briefing.
- Barry Ward, leader of OSU Extension’s Production Business Management program, who will discuss land values, cash rents, crop input costs and potential crop profitability in 2015.
The county meetings, which are open to the public, will be held at the following times and locations:
- Dec. 8 at 9 a.m. at the Fisher Auditorium at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave. in Wooster. RSVP: Wayne County Extension, 330-264-8722 or email@example.com by Dec. 2. Cost: $15.
- Dec. 8 at 9:30 a.m. at the Canfield Fairgrounds, Colonial Inn Building, 7265 Columbiana-Canfield Road in Canfield. RSVP: Mahoning County Extension, 330-533-5538 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec. 2. Cost: $15.
- Dec. 11 at 10 a.m. at the Fraternal Order of Eagles, 400 Eastlake Drive in Ashland. RSVP: John Augenstein, email@example.com or 800-422-3641, or register online at www.suttonbank.com by Dec. 4. Cost: Free with RSVP; $20 at the door if no RSVP.
- Dec. 11 at 4 p.m. at the Attica Fairgrounds Social Hall, 15131 E. Township Road 12 in Attica. RSVP: Eric Gillett, firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-422-3641, or register online at www.suttonbank.com by Dec. 4. Cost: Free with RSVP; $20 at the door if no RSVP.
- Jan. 5, 2015, at 8:30 a.m. at Anderson Ethanol, 5728 Sebring Warner Road in Greenville. RSVP: Darke County Extension, 937-548-5215 or email@example.com by Dec. 22. Cost: $20 per person.
- Jan. 5, 2015, at 11:30 a.m. in the meeting room of the Central Services Building, 220 W. Livingston Street in Celina. RSVP: Mercer County Extension, 419-586-2179 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec. 22. Cost: $20 with RSVP; $30 at the door if no RSVP.
- Jan. 6, 2015, at 7:30 a.m. at the Circleville Presbyterian Church, 134 E. Mound St. in Circleville. RSVP: Pickaway County Extension, 740-474-7534 by Dec. 29. Cost: $10 per person.
- Jan. 7, 2015, at 4 p.m. at Bellevue VFW Hall, 6104 U.S. Route 20, Bellevue. RSVP: Valerie Bumb, 419-483-7340 or BumbV@fnblifetime.com by Jan. 2. Cost: Free with RSVP; $22 at the door if no RSVP.
- Jan. 8, 2015, at 7:30 a.m. at the Wyandot County Fairgrounds, Masters Building, 10171 Ohio 53, Upper Sandusky. RSVP: Ag Credit Upper Sandusky, 419-294-4933 by Jan. 2. Cost: $15.
- Jan. 8, 2015, at noon at the Wood County Fairgrounds, Junior Fair Building, 13800 West Poe Road in Bowling Green. RSVP: Wood County Extension, 419-354-9050 by Jan. 5. Cost: $15, pay at the door.
- Jan. 8, 2015, at 5:30 p.m. at the Jewell Community Center, 7900 Independence Road in Defiance. RSVP: Defiance County Extension, 419-782-4771 or email@example.com by Jan. 5. Cost: $15 with RSVP; $30 at the door if no RSVP.
- Jan. 9, 2015, at 7:30 a.m. at the Kalida Knights of Columbus Hall, 718 Napoleon Road in Kalida. RSVP: Putnam County Extension, 419-523-6294 by Dec. 30. Cost: $20 with RSVP; $30 at the door if no RSVP.
- Jan. 9, 2015, at 1 p.m. at the Greene County Career Center, 2960 West Enon Road in Xenia. RSVP: Mary Griffith, firstname.lastname@example.org or 937-372-9971 x114 by Jan. 5. Cost: $10.
- Jan. 22, 2015, at 5:30 p.m. at the Union County Services Building, 940 London Ave. in Marysville. RSVP: Union County Extension, 937-644-8117 by Jan. 15. Cost: Free with RSVP; $20 at the door if no RSVP.
- Jan. 29, 2015, at 5:30 p.m. at the Washington County Career Center, 21740 State Route 676 in Marietta. RSVP: Washington County Extension, 740-376-7431 by Jan. 22. Cost: $20.
A meal is provided with each meeting and is included in the registration cost. More information, including policy briefs and presentation files from each of the presenters, can also be found at aede.osu.edu/policy-outlook.
November 19, 2014