Next week the 4th International EcoSummit on Ecological Sustainability convenes in Columbus, Ohio. The EcoSummit is a premier event in the environmental science and policy communities, which brings together the world’s most respected minds in ecological science and sustainability to engage on how to best restore our planet’s ecosystems. Over 1,500 participants from more than 75 countries will join the conversation from September 30 to October 5, 2012 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
The event will include 10 plenary presentations, 600 invited presentations in 65 symposia, 21 forums and workshops, and 850 general sessions and poster presentations. The high-level events offered at the Summit feature some of the world's premier environmental thinkers, including Pulitzer Prize winners E.O. Wilson and Jared Diamond, Kyoto Prize winner Simon Levin, as well as Stockholm Water Prize Laureates Sven Jørgensen and William Mitsch.
Several students in the PhD program at AEDE will present their research at the 2012 EcoSummit. These students include:
- Doug Wrenn will present “Integrating economics into land use change models to simulate policy scenarios and assess sustainability” as part of the symposium entitled Connecting the science of ecology to practice: opportunities for facilitating Earth stewardship (Symp 46) on Tuesday, October 2nd from 9:15am to 10:30am in Room C216. The paper was co-authored with AEDE Professor Elena Irwin, the US Forest Service’s J. Morgan Grove, AEDE Assistant Professor H. Allen Klaiber, University of Maryland Assistant Professor David Newburn, and University of Maryland Assistant Professor Charles Towe.
- Matthew Gnagey will present “Heterogeneous developers, spatial interactions, and land development outcomes under uncertainty” on Tuesday, October 2nd from 3:30pm to 5:30pm in Exhibit Hall C (Posters 101-200).
- Avishek Konar will present “Do farmers have heterogeneous preferences for the environment and does it matter? A latent-class approach to crop choice and management practices” on Tuesday, October 2nd from 3:30pm to 5:30pm in Exhibit Hall C (Posters 301-400). The paper was co-authored with AEDE McCormick Professor and Undergraduate Program Coordinator Brian Roe and AEDE Professor Elena Irwin.
- Wendong Zhang will present “Increasing Land Fragmentation and Ecological Footprint in U.S. Exurbia - Evidence from a New Measure of Leapfrog Development” on Tuesday, October 2nd from 3:30pm to 5:30pm in Exhibit Hall C (Posters 101-200). The paper was co-authored with fellow AEDE PhD student Doug Wrenn and AEDE Professor Elena Irwin.
- Xiaohui Tian will present “Carbon policies and forest sequestration: the extensive and intensive margins” on Thursday October 4th from 5:00pm to 6:30pm in Exhibit Hall C (Posters 1-100).
The EcoSummit is hosted by The Ohio State University, the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission, the Ecological Society of America, the International Association for Ecology, and the Society for Ecological Restoration. The full EcoSummit program can be found here.
September 28, 2012